Subject: RE: [Leica] True Grit In Life and LUG
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 11:23:58 -0000

Eric -
The PBS piece on Norman Rockwell was fascinating. I admit to being one who
always wrote him off as a grossly sentimental fool...but learning 1.) the
racist constraints he was under at The Saturday Evening Post, and 2.) the
way he evolved politically and in terms of artistic subject matter was a
real eye opener...I was particularly taken by the illustration that appears
to be of Schwerner, Chaney and Goodman - I've never seen it before, and
found it to be quite moving...I was also interested in the perspective that
what he painted was the America folks wanted to believe in, not necessarilly
the one that was...and how he said in the late 50s, 60s, that were he called
upon at that time to paint the four (three) freedoms series he painted
during WWII he couldn't do it - because the country he thought would emerge
from the War didn't....interesting...

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Those who judge others will burn in Hell!