Subject: Re: [Leica] Homeless: Hated
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:13:12 -0800

At 12:42 AM 11/24/1999 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:

>Cat pictures run a close second on the inept insipid list.

Well, let's all come up with a black list of photo subjects that should not
be allows. And a collector's list of the same ilk.

It always amazes me when someone has a political, one might say, dislike
against any kind of subject matter short of kiddie porn. Just because
something doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean we should all be ashamed to
like it. I LIKE flower pictures. I grew up in the West, where flowers were
something you looked forward to waking up and seeing outside your tent in
the dew-covered meadow. Maybe the process of photographing them is usually
better than the result. But I like Freeman Patterson's approach to flowers.
I despise flower show photos as much as the next Joe - or Mike <G> - but I
like flowers! Why shouldn't I like flower photos that are well done? Mike
is right that the majority of them are not terribly inspiring - though I
probably like more than he does. For example, Mapplethorp's flower photos.
Much better than some guy sticking a leather whip up his butt. But that's
just me. They are rather formal and anti-flower if you ask me, but there
are degrees of like an dislike that make us unique, and that's cool.

And kiddie porn advocates, stay lurkers, we don't want to hear from you
perverts. Hey freedom of subject matter is not absolute any more than
freedom of speech is absolute!

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch