Subject: RE: [Leica] Military Contaces
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:55:32 -0500

At 11:35 AM 11/23/1999 -0000, B. D. Colen wrote:

>WHY? WHY? Would anyone WANT to own a Leica or Contax used by the armed
>forces or government of the Third Reich? And spare me the "study of history"
>crap. One doesn't need to collect them to know that they were made and what
>features they had.

Who said the first thing about collecting these puppies?  I was asked
specific questions on the history of German military procurement of
cameras, and answered the question to the limit of my knowledge.

I also discussed US Navy periscope cameras.  I suppose you object to this
element of the discussion because the US mis-treated ethnic and religious
minorities?  May I safely presume that you found William Shirer and Louis P
Lochner objectionable because they wrote about Nazi Germany both from
Berlin and the US and knew most of the Nazi Bonzen?  Are we safe in
figuring that you detest NASA because Werner von Braun met Hitler a number
of times and had his first real break from him (and, of course, despite the
fact that rocketry and space travel is only 10% or so of NASA's activities)?

For that matter, didn't you once mention that one of your customers was one
of the major German firms?  Wasn't it IG Farbenindustrie?  We're merely
talking and you're doing?

Give it a rest, BD.  It gets really old to be PC'd to death, especially on
the LUG.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!