Subject: RE: [Leica] Military Contaces
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:45:01 -0500

At 07:18 AM 11/23/1999 -0800, Frank Fillipone wrote:

>Marc and others.... the military Cantaxes I had  were marked with the
>letters  MF   and 4 digits.  Rather low key.
>Were these the Kriegsmarine versions?

Not necessarily.  The "MF" merely means that it was procured through the
Navy.  ALL military Zeiss Ikon cameras ordered directly from the factory
bear this mark, even if they were later used by the Luftwaffe or Heer.  (In
today's US military, similarly, the Army is responsible for buying all
light weapons, including those used by Air Force guards and Navy landing
parties, while the Navy orders the light boats the Army uses in riverine
operations and the Air Force orders the Army's helicopters.)

Marc