Subject: [Leica] A good day with Leica
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 07:58:09 EST

As part of the deal on a new leica, I recently went to their UK headquarters
for a users day and thought fellow LUGers may be interested.

Twelve of us met at 10 a.m. from various parts of the country.   We found
that we were from all walks of life, some professional, some keen amateurs.
For some this was their first leica but others were old hands.
Interestingly, we were all male and all (I guesstimate) in excess of 50.
There were 11 M users and one R user, although a couple of people also had
R's in their collection.

After an introduction to Leica and a discussion of any problems, we were
given a free choice of equipment and supplied with film to go out and
photographed what we wished.   Owning a M3, M4-P and M6, I decided to go for
a R8 with a 35-70 zoom.   I have often looked at the R8 but decided it was
too big for my small hands.   We had about an hour so I decided to amble
around the business park where Leica are
situated.   I found the R8 interesting to use, but, as I suspected, too big
to be used comfortably (I prefer my EOS1 outfit - and promise to say three
Hail Marys for blaspheming on the LUG!)

In the afternoon we showed some of our work, and were shown work by famous
Leica photographers.   Some of those present had brought various items to be
checked by Leica whilst they were there, and this was done free of charge.
Just to name drop, Ian Berry of Magnum was spotted at reception but I was
unable to get to say Hello.   I have met Ian on a number of occasions, and
would have liked to have chatted but it was not to be!

Having returned home and processed the film, I must say that I have found the
metering and lens quality of the R8 to be exceptional.   Maybe I will rethink
my EOS1 outfit.

Gerry