Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanners and B&W - OT?
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 01:06 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Roger L. Bunting writes:

> I've been following scanning threads and topics by this group
and a
> completely unscientific recollection says that there is a lot
of B&W
> Nikon CoolScan 2000 users here. At the expo the Helix reps
> (Nikon/Minolta reps were on break while I was there), were
pushing the
> Minolta Dimage San Multi Scanner over the CoolScan 2000.
Reason given
> was the better performance of the Minolta for B&W. The claim
was
> extended B&W tonal range. The prints they were showing from
the Minolta
> were impressive but still lacked punch in the 'brilliant'
portion of the
> highlights.
>
> Any comments from users in this list?

Run (don't walk) to http://www.halftone.co.uk for the best
film scanner information you'll find anywhere.

*Personally* I reckon the Polaroid SprintScan 4000 is the best
35mm filmscanner of the current crop. If you're into medium &
large format, you might want to wait for the SS5000.

David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk