Subject: [Leica] reloadable cassettes
From: damian dlugolecki <damian@teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 10:55:01 -0800

- --------------4FA4710F8F071E4F392B8844

A while back there was a thread touching on reloadable cassettes and it
seemed the consensus was that factory loaded cassettes were much
preferred and this led to the "LUG buy" thread.  I prefer to use
reloadable cassettes because they have many practical advantages, the
least of which is cost.

long four inch leader prescribed by Leica is unnecessary and is a waste
of time.
With the film cut straight across the film cassette is seated slightly
ahead of the take up spool.  It's as simple as that.  You can of course,
cut the
leader off a factory spooled cassette and this will make loading your
LTM Leica go much easier.

Another reason I prefer reloadable cassettes is to control the number of
negatives so that one roll can be contact printed on 8x10 paper and can
be stored in one file page.  No one mentioned this during the discussion
and I wonder if I am perhaps missing something.

Leica cassettes are heavy and add too much weight to the camera.  They
are also impractical if you shoot both M's and LTM's because the
cassettes are
different for each.  Also for long trips requiring 50+ rolls of film
they are
out of the question.

More than once I have dropped a cassette and had it pop open.  If anyone
knows of a source of high quality cassettes I'd love to hear from you.
I'm using a
box of 100 manufactured in Spain and marketed by Kalt.  They're as good
as any I've used but I suspect there are better one's out there.

Damian

"One sees as one wishes to see."  Edgar Degas

- --
http://www.teleport.com/~damian/strings.htm
- --------------4FA4710F8F071E4F392B8844

begin:vcard