Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: lens chamois
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 07:48:22 -0800

Mike wrote:

>OK concerning lens chamois:  I've always been paranoid about using the same
>thing twice to clean a lens.>>>>

Hi Mike,

I guess I should give you the "old Ted" cleaning cloth tip! :)

This goes for any of you new folks who have not tried it. We are always
talking about Leica glass, trust me it's much  tougher than most of you
give it credit.

Some of you would "blanch white" with heart palpatations, while watching
Leica technical people clean lens surfaces with good old fashion elbow
grease, heavy breathing on the glass and vigorously rubbing the cloth round
and round very quickly.

There is nothing like some "heavy breathing" on the lens and rubbed with a
swatch of well worn, "well washed" bottom section cut from your "seat made"
under shorts!:) Nice soft cotten!

Been getting secondary use from well worn under shorts for years and they
don't cost a penny, as they become a "Re-cycled commodity!" Certainly after
you have created them into "lens cleaning cloth" due to the hundreds of
times you have sat on them and ground them into soft lint proof lens
cleaning cloth.

Why spend money for a chamois when your riding on the best cleaning
material you can find? Particularly when it's free! :)

Laugh if you like, but it works and instead of throwing those old under
shorts away, cut the ass part out and make the finest lens cleaning cloth
you can find. And they are expendable.

ted

 I know that the Inuit used to keep a single ptarmagan skin in
>the igloo to clean their dishes all winter, but this is a lens for crying
>out loud!

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant