Subject: Re: [Leica] Hammersley's Cricket Shoes at al.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 08:24:18 -0800

At 09:05 AM 11/20/99 +0000, Mike Johnston wrote:
>Again, I wonder if someone could please supply the date of the R4's
>introduction. Adams died in 1984, I believe.

The R4 was introduce in 1980, about the same time as the F3 and the LX.
Adams died on Easter Sunday, 1984. I remember where I was when I heard the
news. The only picture I've seen in print by Ansel and his R4 is a picture
of a rock at Point Lobos. It looks like an egg in a nest.

And his concern for absolute image quality was always compromised by his
use of HC-110 dil. B and Tri-X with 35mm. He said he was so familiar with
it that he just didn't want to mess with anything else. Or was that John
Sexton reporting Ansel saying that? I don't remember. HC-110 dil. B and
35mm Tri-X are excessively grainy IMO.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

The best pictures differentiate themselves by nuances...a tiny relationship
- - either a harmony or a disharmony - that creates a picture. -Ernst Haas,
"More Joy of Photography"