Subject: Re: [Leica] The shortest 4-letter word in photography
From: "Eno" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 01:17:44 -0500

Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:30:33 -0800

At 05:44 AM 11/17/99 -0500, Eno wrote:
>, I'd say that not more than 5% of
>people who make their living as photographers in America (i.e., pros)
>use Leicas of either flavor as their main or only camera system

You are incorrect. It's 14% according to your PDN survey, and your
criticism of PDN is almost hysterical in it's hyperbole, and thus suspect.
As is your criticism (and ignorance) of the profession of newspaper
photojournalism.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

He who laughs last thinks slowest
- ------------------------------------
- ------------------------------------
He who jumps too fast quotes the wrong person.
The above isn't my words.
PDN?  There's nothing that needs your approval here.  What sort of editorial
criticism do you have in mind?  Unfortunately there are many who have
enveloped themselves in such a way that opinions have been  relegated,
ironically,to judgments of factual...irrelevance.
My "criticism" of PDN is not 'My' 'criticism.  It is either an offense to
you for personal reasons or you don't even know at what angle to approach
comments as such.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as that is of
utmost importance.  If the pride-that moves the critique and guidelines
of,specifically, the institutions of academia and the inherent snobbery that
only makes a mockery of the human situation, pretending to be involved
however in the 'artistic expression' of the ever-evolving human condition -
if this eludes you than so be it.  Do you also value the "artist statement"?
It's simple "I try to express the inexpressible, as that is a level that
speaks from within the expressive yet subtle recesses of what is true to the
person in a real way"  And who perpetuates such brilliance?  Certainly not
any publications or 'representatives' flooding out of NYC.   What is suspect
is one who is not suspect.

You think I am ignorant of the "profession of newspaper photojournalism".
OK.  The discussion was concerning pros and the low number of pro leica
users.  I could praise the profession and it's leica users.  That's not so
shocking to me.  What is shocking is that 10 or so percent of this list
would seemingly NOT be considered professionals. It's a bit absurd for one
to assume that those who have chosen to expose their lofty positions have
bigger words.  It's not so much to critique!  I put forth a position that is
necessarily NOT merry to all.  It's hard to make a point if you tiptoe. How
great the photojournalist is - we KNOW!  YES! LEICA and PHOTOJOURY>>>>>
My post is little about PDN statistics and a whole lot more on regular folk
who love the leicas!  My point had something to do with 'newspaper' and
'leica nut' being potentially and factually close to a modern day mutually
exclusive pair.  Or rather, to give a damn hand to the great photographers
and connoisseurs who have been excused from "Pro" in a way that is
ultimately just hollow.