Subject: Re: [Leica] brick, INVENTORY
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:41:48 EST

Mark Rabiner wrote:
>I thought you scored greater deals than that with Neopan on your trips to
>Toykeo. 32,100,400...
>You even inspired me to go out and get some! I have the 1600 in my M6 now.
>How would you say Neopan stacked up against Tri X?
>Mark Rabiner

Mark, I do get some good deals on the Neopan in Tokyo, but for the gloomy
winter light of the Northwest I prefer the Tri-X. I have tried all the other
400 ASA films and somehow I always gravitate back to the old standby XXX. The
Neopan 32 ASA is a wee bit too slow for now and even the Neopan Presto 100
strains your hand holding capability a bit. The Neopan 1600 is a remarkable
film, I tend to shoot it at 800, but it can take 1600 too. It does not push
well above that. Grain and tonality is very good, slightly finer grain than
pushed Tri-X and considerably better than T-Speed or Delta-3200. I have been
trying it with a variety of developers, D-76/Pyro/D-23 and D-25/split
D-76/and even with Rodinal 1: 100 for 20 minutes. The last one is certainly
not a fine-grain developer but if you like sharp, edgy grain it is good.
Works well with the Noctilux and I will try it with the 90 APO/Asph later
this month.
I cant wait for some sunny weather and the possibility to start working my
way through 150 rolls of Neopan 32 ASA, as well as several 100 feet of KB-14
and KB-17 that I picked up in Europe earlier this year. The KB-14 has that
wonderful 50's look to it, including some rather interesting surface
"blemishes" introduced in the coating. Incredibly sharp with the Beutler
developer, it's like TechPan with midtones!
All the best,
Tom A