Subject: Re: [Leica] Pros
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:20:56 EST

In a message dated 11/15/99 9:45:46 PM, michaeljohnston@ameritech.net writes:

>I don't consider Leicas pro cameras. More non-pros use them. And perhaps
>the pro who use them are using them with their "artist / amateur" sides.
>We have pros reading our magazine, but I get the sense that they read
>it--and do darkroom work--not for professional reasons, but out of a
>genuine love of photography. I think perhaps the pros who use Leica are
>also this way.

I'm a pro. I recently returned to Leica M photography because the Leica M
camera is a TOOL, a unique tool in fact, that helps me in my work. It is
unmatched for accurate focusing of wide angle lenses in low light and it
ideally suited to the documentary photojournalism approach. I think you'll
find that most photojournalists who use Leicas rangefinders will tell you the
same thing. Personally, I have no interest in Leica SLR cameras but I really
appreciate the rangefinders. It just happens that for now, Leica is the only
game in the rangefinder town. If there were other suitable cameras I would
consider those. But I suspect it will be a long time before any other system
could offer the depth of good, second-hand equipment out there that Leica
offers.

Bob (it's not a piece of jewelry) McEowen