Subject: Re: [Leica] The Japanese Economy
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 08:01:55 +0100

Well Peter, I actually put more trust in the conclusions of disinterested
professors than, say, Lee Iacocca types who have an axe to grind. Incidentally,
I never said that the Japanese economy is easy to enter for a foreign company.
What I did say is that Japan is not significantly more protectionist than the
U.S., and I stand by that. You use telecoms as an example: well, have you heard
about the 25% restriction on foreign ownership of U.S. telcos (and airlines, as
far as I know)? Or imagine that you are a foreign bank wanting to set up
business in New York; you have to cope with the restrictions on mixing
commercial and investment banking, the Community Reinvestment Act and many other
rules and regulations unique to the U.S. Not too inviting from a potential
entrant's point of view...

Nathan

"Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" wrote:

> Nathan,
>
> You sound like a professor and someone who has only received the teachings
> of the standard propaganda heard in Colleges and Universities.  I have a
> good deal of experience in business dealings with Asia, especially Japan.
> It is not whining by American businesses, but in fact is a government
> control/restrictions imposed on businesses.  For example, there are 3 LD
> carriers in Japan, but the gov't only let's each undercut the main (NTT) by
> a percetage and no more.  There is no negotiating with Japanese businesses
> for MNC sites as there is in other parts of Asia.
> So please, let me tell you first hand, wherever you are garnering your
> experience from is not a very good source.
>
> Peter K

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium