Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Hexar RF...Good News...Bad News
From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 01:10:39 +0100

Ken Iisaka wrote:

>While Japan, or any foreign market is difficult for any businesses to enter,
>the situation certainly is not as xenophobic as how the media or political
>propaganda portrays.
>
>DaimlerChrysler has a significant chunk of the automotive market with its
>highly popular and successful products.  Morgan Stanley (my former employer)
>and Merrill Lynch trade more stocks on the Tokyo Stock Exchange than the
>local brokerage firms, and Merrill even bought Yamaichi Securities when it
>failed a couple of years ago.  Major insurance companies are doing very
>well.
>
>Of course governments have not seen success.  The most successful business
>do not rely on politics to get things done.  There are many companies, US,
>Canadian, or European, which just walked into foreign markets, including
>Japan, and ruled.
>
>Japan is not at all alone in defending its domestic market from foreign
>competition.  Name a country which has never practised xenophobic policies.
>All the whining blaming protectionist policies is merely a scapegoat.  Have
>you seen the sales figure of Leica cameras at Lemon Camera lately?

Well put, Ken.
I am always dismayed when I hear about the "high walls" against import in
Japan.  Where are they?  Perhaps "high walls" are meant to describe a fact
that the Japanese often forget to make kind invitation with everything ready
for you. ;-)  Obviously, there are many foreign (or international) companies
that make enormous profit in Japan (Coca Cola, Mcdonald, to name a few)
Visit Tokyo and do some shopping.  Then tell me which brands you cannot
find.  Winners are silent.  Losers need propaganda.

I am not surprised that we are not well informed about remote contries.  I
myself had had biased or stereotyped ideas about France before I came to
live here.

As far as I know, Lemon Co., as a single dealer, sold more than 1/3 of the
total production of M6 a couple of years ago.  Does it sell more now?

Cheers,