Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Wetzlar Solms Canada Portugal....
From: "Jim Shulman" <garcia@chesco.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 13:03:01 -0500

OK.  Karen T-H did the photography in her studio.

Artists were Christopher Collins Lee (incredible violinist, my ex partner as
well).  His disks included a recital record of short pieces and a CD of 20th
Century French Sonatas.  The French album is truly remarkable.  He plays a
1680 Ruggieri, at one time owned by Leopold Mozart.

Operatic Recital by Esther Hinds, soprano.  Esther created the role of
Cleopatra in Barber's major revision of A&C, done in the mid-1970s.  She
also opened Davies Hall in SF, among other notable accomplishments. Heard
her at a friend's memorial service about two years ago, and HAD to record
her (also as a memorial to him.)  I learned a) you don't make any money on
classical CDs and b) NEVER get into a fight with a 300 lb soprano.  The CD
includes her usual repertoire, art song and arias, as well as the first
recordings of five works by Jules Bledsoe, black American baritone and
composer (most notable as the FIRST Joe in Show Boat--no, it wasn't Robeson)
We found the Bledsoe manuscripts in the Library of Congress.

Also found a wonderful recording studio in the Bronx where we recorded on
the cheap.  Terrible neighborhood, wonderful Hamburg Steinway.

All best,
Jim