Subject: Re: [Leica] Hexar RF
From: "R. Saylor" <rlsaylor@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 14:33:39 -0500

Pascal wrote:

> On 14-11-1999 15:37 Lucien wrote:
>
> >A 1/250 top speed is a joke.
> >Like in the Minilux Zoom.
> >That's why, IMO, the Olympus Stylus Epic/Mju is a much more useful camera
> > than the old fixed-lens Hexar.
>
> Yes, that's why the Minilux (with Summarit 40mm) is a even better choice
> (1/400 top speed). ;-)

Absolutely! One of things often overlooked is that using a general
purpose ISO100 film with a 1/250 top speed will often force the
camera to stop down to f/11 or f/16. This may be good for DOF, but
it's at the point where diffraction can have an adverse effect. The
1/400 max speed of the Minilux can often let you open up to f/8 or
f/5.6. The Summarit on the Minilux is no slouch and appears to have
it's sweet spot at about f/5.6. I really like being able to take
advantage of that. (The Minilux is not *merely* a point-and-shoot. If
it were, there would be no reason to have the aperture priority and
manual focus features.)

Richard