Subject: Re: [Leica] Is there any doubt that "Sometning is Wrong"
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 10:06:21 +0100

Bill,

I am one of those who have not contributed to this unending stream of
complaints, because I have none. The complaints seem to center around
two-three main themes:

1) Leica is old-fashioned.
Yes, it is (although from what I understand, the R8 is fairly modern
except for the absence of AF). And I hope it stays that way. The M6 is
as modern as I want my camera to be. I do not use flash, so I couldn't
care less about the 1/50 sec. synch speed. I have no interest in a
battery-dependent, motorized modern marvel. I want quality craftmanship
and the best lenses I can afford, and I have just that in my M6.

2) Leica is expensive.
Yes, and so is Porsche, Ducati, Villeroy & Boch, a 1989 Château Pétrus
etc etc. In almost every product category there is a brand that occupies
the pinnacle in terms of uncompromising quality and a price to match. In
35mm photography, Leica occupies that position. Each of us has to decide
whether it is worth it, given our photographic aspirations, priorities
and of course the size of the bank account. Many such luxury brands are
profitable, there is no reason why Leica cannot be too. Many (most)
consumers will decide that Leica is not right for them, and that's fine.
Having said this, my Leicaflex SL with 50mm Summicron set me back $400,
so it is possible to get into Leica on a budget.

3) SOME Leica dealers and distributors and indeed Leica itself do a poor
job of marketing and supporting the products.
This is in my view the only legitimate complaint. Leica is missing out
on a golden opportunity to exploit technologies like the Internet to
enhance customer relationships, and it tolerates indifferent dealers and
distributors far too long. It also appears to be ignoring the fact that
most of its customers are outside Germany. In my opinion, fixing this,
coupled with appropriate cost-cutting exercises, is what is needed to
return Leica Camera GmbH to profitability.

Nathan

Bill Erfurth wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> For the past three of four days now, there has been an
> almost unending stream of complaints against Leica and
> serious questions about the company, it's products,
> pricing and future.  And all of these are from
> hard-core Leica users...and Leica loyalists.

SNIP

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium