Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: mainstream thinking
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:06:57 EST

In a message dated 11/12/99 5:30:08 PM Central Standard Time,
cameras@jetlink.net writes:

<<
 Optics are the exception, where new designs continue to excel.

 Stephen Gandy >>
How do the current Leica lenses really compare with the Sigma and other
lenses that are using current design?  I have not seen any comparison.  Do
the current Leica lenses that are 3-4 times more expensive provide 3-4 times
better resolution or 3-4 times anything except price? Or are these lenses
like the caps that are so grossly overpriced that Leica is guilty of gouging
the loyal customers?

Pride of ownership is one thing, but being ripped off is another.  Unless
Leitz quality is maintained by Solms, one will not be able to even delude
himself or herself that he or she has something in which pride of ownership
may be legitimately claimed.  At one time, owning a Leica camera and lens
meant the photographer could stop longing for better quality camera and lens,
and look elsewhere for photo quality improvement.  From what I see on the
LUG, persons are beginning to question that old rule.

The confusion that is flowing from Solms makes one wonder if there is even a
"quarterback" in charge.  Certainly the "quarterback" has no prior playing
experience in building the finest quality photographic equipment on the
market.  It is my view that until persons who know what is quality when it
runs over them in the middle of the street are put in charge, the quality
problems reported on the LUG will increase.  Most "bean counters" go in with
the idea of making the product barely acceptable to some customers so the
product may be made more cheaply thus enhancing profits not quality.  We have
been advised on the LUG that numerous parts of the M-6 are now different from
the earlier M cameras to reduce manufacturing costs. How many of the rumored
100 employees let go were from quality control?

Perhaps the continued losses reported each quarter are directly attributable
to loss of customers who really want the finest that money can buy and no
longer derive the warm and fuzzy feeling they once secured from the ownership
of Leitz cameras and lenses.

Has anyone done an in-depth examination of Solms in regard to quality of its
product and to its ability to survive?