Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica has some nerve . . . .
From: "RP Johnson" <rpjohnson2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:01:56 -0800

Bob and BD,

Strange coincidence (well, it is a holiday for us drones, but not for the
camera shops), but I too was pricing Leica front lens caps today.  The Leica
clerk was very serious, but the Nikon clerk was laughing so hard that he
could not get his breath and was turning blue.

Nikon users have long made reference to Nikon's "ultrasecret, miracle
plastic from Mars" when they have learned the price for a little plastic
piece: lens hood, the little screw-in cap that covers the electronic remote
shutter port, etc.  And Nikon owners regularly trade information about which
plastic container lids will work on which lenses as caps.  Pringles potato
chip caps are a standard issue as are various Tupperware lids.

After all the laughter died down, the Leica guy admitted that they had a box
in the back (in the dark) that had 3rd party lens caps.  These run under
$10, but you have to sort of try them for fit to each lens individually.

My question is:  every Leica lens I look at (new or used) has a lens cap;
but every Leica lens I buy is missing the lens cap.  I want to know where
they are all going.  Or are Leica lens caps (front and rear) the larval
stage of AOL CD's that come in the mail about 3 times a week?

rp johnson