Subject: [Leica] Is Criticism of Cohn Justified? I don't think so.
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:04:58 -0800

 It is very easy for Leica owners, like the proverbial couch potato
quarterbacks, to criticize anything we don't like about Leicas and Leica
management in a free speech environment like the internet and the LUG.

While this may be good to a point, is it always deserved?

As it pertains to Mr. Cohn,  I tend to doubt it.

It is not as if Mr. Cohn created all of Leica's problems himself.  He
came into a situation inheriting a long list of problems.  More have
come up entirely beyond his control -- the various new Japanese
rangefinders.

Compared to Leica's past management closed mouth attitude,  I am
astonished and thankful for Mr. Cohn's openness and frankness.  If Leica
is to solve its problems and survive, I think Mr. Cohn's openness to
communication and new ideas is essential.   His willingness to be put
himself on the spot at LHSA says good things about him in my book.

I  doubt if any LUG member who is not Leica management knows what all of
Leica's plans and new products are,  or what kind of internal struggles
are going on for one strategic route over another.  We simply don't know
- -- as Mr. Cohn does -- what is going on.   This makes an accurate
assessment of the situation impossible.

As a Leica owner, I am more inclined to wish Mr. Cohn well in a very
difficult time and situation.

Stephen Gandy