Subject: Re: [Leica] archives and scanners?
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 17:17:02 -0500

Pascal wrote:

> On 10-11-1999 01:13 sam wrote:
>
> >To my knowledge, this is no longer even remotely true. I'm sure many
> >others will confirm this. Current inks/papers are claiming (and testing)
> >
> >to loooong stability (100 years?)
>
> Didn't realize I was lying.
> I am using the latest Epson Stylus Photo 1200, Epson photo quality paper
> and Epson inks.
> Thanks.
>
> Pascal

  Can you imagine if e.g. Monet considered paint with a 100 year life
"archival"? 100 years is the base minimum and itself not adequate for
serious archiving. When my wife gets annoyed that I take family 'snapshots'
using Kodachrome, and hence double 4x6 prints aren't readily available, I
remind her that our grandchildren's grandchildren's grandchildren will be
thrilled having our cibachromes. We recently spent about $500 restoring an
otherwise mundane pair of drawings c. 1890 which were *owned* by her
grandmother let alone created by or depicting anyone in her family. It is
hard to predict what the value of something will become. Hopefully the
medium of photography will continue to be used as a way to depict our
society in a realistic fashion.

Jonathan Borden