Subject: [Leica] Re: Natalie Merchant - and the Little Old Lady Who Lives At The End Of The Mall
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:54:35 -0000

Bill Rosauer wrote:

>The Carnival video was good for laughs.  It was obvious that she had
no clue
on how to properly use an M camera.  Did not demonstrate the proper M
Leica
grip.  Grabs the lens with the left hand from above, not cradling the
lens
with the left hand from below.

This must be the programme I saw on US TV while on vacation last
winter. At the end of the programme, it was explained that "we'd hoped
to show you Natalie's pics, but they didn't come out". I asked a fan
group who had a website devoted to the lady if she really was trying
to use a Leica but they said it was just a 'prop'.

On the subject of famous Leica users, loath though I am to say
anything favourable about the Little Old Lady Who Lives At The End Of
The Mall (I'd always hoped the UK would be a republic by the year
2000), I believe that Queen Elizabeth is a Leica enthusiast. One
reason she was given a more modern Leica camera is that during one of
her public appearances a TV commentator has remarked 'on the air' that
he couldn't understand why she was using that strange old camera (her
M3)!

Who knows, perhaps she's one of the LUG's "silent majority" of
lurkers... In which case this posting will have scuppered my chances
of a knighthood!

Regards,

Doug Richardson