Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Eric & Tudors
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:10:51 -0800

B.D.wrote:

>Leica's giving free cameras to Queen Eliz. proves my point about their
>twisted idea of marketing:>>>>

Hi B.D.,

That has been the twisted thoughts of their marketing for some time. Like
it's a "big deal" for the blinking of one's eyes then forgotten.

It's much like getting the camera to the top of Mount Everest, another big
deal. Simply because, who climbs Mount Everest every day? Not your day to
day photographer whom they must get their attention to purchase.  They miss
the point of promotion all the time.

>Don't give free cameras to the QEIIs of the world - who gives a rat's rear
>what they take photos with. Instead, give free cameras to the Ted Grants of
>the world; to the Eugene Richardses; even to the Eric Welches...To those
>highly respected working PJs and documentarians whom many of us consider
>examples of one sort or another.>>>>

I agree with you to some extent, however I prefer your second thoughts below:

<<<<<And, in particular, give them to up and coming young shooters who are
doing terrific work, that's getting noticed, but who haven't yet
discovered/invested in, Leicas. THAT's marketing a camera.>>>>>>>>

Completely so, simply because these up and comers are the ones who need the
support and are the "influencers of the future!"  Sure it would be nice to
have a couple of new M6's or R8's in the hands of Eugene Richards, Eric
Welch and myself.

But we are established and not that in need of support, not that I wouldn't
mind a change to some new gear. It's the young hot shooters who could use
the help in most cases and by influencing them with a Leica or two,
illustrates that Leica cares about up and comers, their work and the
longevity of the marketing value increases.

Much better long term marketing than popping one in the hands of the Queen,
who could buy the complete Leica operation and make her own camera.

<<<<<Giving an M to QEII is marketing a Rolex.>>>>>>

It actually detracts from the usefulness of the camera. After all, how many
Queens are there in the world who'll be influenced and buy an M6 or two?:)

The future lies with the children and the young talented photographers of
the world and this is where Leica are missing the boat altogether.

They would be better off with a marketing strategy tied to a lecture
circuit of schools, photography colleges and camera clubs,  using Eugene
Richards, Eric Welch and Ted Grant. Let them carry the message, show the
results of using the Leica and their testimonials of why they use the gear.
It would be far more effective than giving one or a dozen M's to the Queen
or any other head of State.

But then that's too simple a marketing method, showing the results of real
time photography!

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant