Subject: Re: [Leica] artistic intention and lens performance
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 06:24:04 EST

Erwin:

I appreciate your comprehensive approach to testing lenses. They are
wonderful and credible references for everyone to use as an element in
selecting their lenses.  The question that I have is, "Can the user tell the
difference?"

As an example:    I enjoy my darkroom work and like the best equipment that I
can justify.  During the past year I have collected quite a few enlarger
lenses and have limited my tests to side-by-side prints made at the same
magnification.  Agreed, this is not scientific.  My goal is to reduce my
enlarger lens inventory to one lens for 35mm and one for medium format.
Yesterday I made four prints from the same negative and used a different
lens for each print; Focotar 40mm f2.8, Focotar 50mm f4.5,  El Nikkor 80mm
F5.6 and El Nikkor 75mm f4.  I printed each negative as close to "full frame
35" as possible (approx 6-1/4" x 9-1/2").   I used a Saunders 4500XL enlarger
with a glass negative holder.  I used Ilford Multigrade IV RC satin paper.

Erwin, there has got to be a difference but damn if I can see much in the
prints.  I have spent over an hour with different loupes and magnifying
glasses and the best that I can come up with is Focotar 40mm may have a bit
more shadow detail.  I can't confirm this but there may be a bit more
information. The 80mm El Nikkor may be the closest to it.

About 6 months ago I did the same test using a 50mm Rodagon, 80mm Rodagon,
50mm Apo Rodagon and the 50mm Focotar.  The only one that I kept was the
Focotar 50mm.  In retrospect I should have kept the Apo Rodagon but I am not
losing any sleep over it.

Erwin, I have come to the conclusion that basically all of the lenses that I
use are good to the extent that I use them.  I am curious at to what
magnification visual recognition of the quality differences would be.  The
prints that I made are approximately 40x.   Also, my tests are not scientific
enough to make a conclusion thus I must use your research as a reference.
However, if I can't see it what difference does it make anyway?

Personally, which enlarger lense(s) do you use?

Thanks for your input and I certainly hope that you are feeling better now.
Continued good health to you.

Bob Bedwell

<< The argument that one does not need to be concerned with or
 interested in lens quality when one makes photographs with a purely
 artistic intent is a bit shaky. There are two implications here. One
 says that if you cannot see any difference, it is of no importance.
 And the other is that scientific lens testing is irrelevant for
 practical photography.
 Let us first give some definitions. What is meant by 'scientific'
 lens testing. We all know that most lenses reproduce a three
 dimensional object on a flat plane of some recording medium (emulsion
 or CCD). This reproduction is not accurate due to aberrations. So
 every image projected by a lens will be degraded when compared to the
 original. This level of degradation can be measured by several
 methods and when put in a mathematical manner, can be evaluated in a
 scientific way. Scientific here just means that there are some
 theoretical notions which are expressed numerically and can be
 rationally discussed. The image degradation is theoretically and
 empirically defined as a number of optical aberrations, which can be
 identified separately. (coma, distortion, chromatic shift etc). So it
 is possible to study any optical system in the way it will record an
 image over its full image field and a number of distances from object
 to film plane. And of course for several apertures as the aperture
 influences the level of degradation.  In the past astronomers
 designed lenses purely by trial and error and got good results. Since
 we have an optical theory (thanks to Seidel and Petzval) we have
 progressed rapidly.
 Now we can describe any lens in its level of aberration content and
 this description tells us quite correctly how much image degradation
 we may expect, including aspects as flare.
 The artistic image starts with a random pattern of color patches,
 grey tones and luminance differences. Strange as it may seem: any
 photograph consists of a pattern of luminance differences, and that
 is all. Our senses make sense of such a pattern, and such a pattern
 evokes emotions, conveys meaning and records information. Here we
 have the realm of cognitive psychology and in photography this is
 codified in the so-called 'language of photography'. Numerous books
 have as subject the question how to look at a photograph and see its
 meaning and beauty.
 In my view it is evident that the luminance pattern is influenced by
 the recording capacity of the lens (or its aberration content). By
 inference the aberration content will influence the recording of this
 pattern and so its meaning will be different  depending on the level
 of image degradation. There is thus a strong relationship between the
 optical quality of a lens and its projected image on film: the
 luminance distribution.
 If we see this relationship and will acknowledge its importance is a
 different story.  That we do not see it, does not mean that it does
 not exist! That is a classical fallacy.
 So lens quality and quality differences are of the utmost importance
 to anyone who wishes to record information and by doing this in a
 manner that evokes a human response (s)he needs to know the
 relationship between image quality and the meaning of a photograph.
 It is evidently true that you may wish to ignore this. A pinhole
 camera works without a lens and gives fine imagery. The justified
 attention to the sharpness/unsharpness borderline implies a clear
 relationship between image quality and meaning. This deserves further
 discussion, not by denying the scientific approach but by
 incorporating it in the artistic way of photography.

 Erwin >>