Subject: Re: [Leica] scientific lens testing is ridiculous?
From: "eno!" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 04:31:28 -0500

You Wrote:

Good to note that you are just as chipper as ever.

It is good that there are those who like the scientific approach so the
human
race may advance and it is good that there are those who have a special
artistic flare so we may have beautiful things.  Now all we need is just
more
understanding between the two.

For a long time, I have held the belief that there would be no Leica cameras
if the company depended upon their sale to only those who were "artists."
Many Leica owners are of a temperament that they like finely made things
whether those things are automobiles, machines, homes, etc., and the Leica
for the most part falls within that category.  If we were not interested in
top quality camera bodies and lenses, there would be no Leica cameras and
lenses since the old Brownie box camera would have fit the bill for everyone
and the Leitz people would have been doing something else.  Most likely,
without our built-in obsession to always do and want better, the gorillas
and
chimps would be watching us on their TV.

Erwin, I, for one, enjoy testing to discover which provides me with the best
instrument and hope you continue with your special forte while others may
continue using the Leica cameras and lenses to produce "masterpieces."

Again, good to note you are on the "net" again.
>>>----------------------------/------------------

Please excuse if I'm a bit late and this has been 'round.
I'm on the 'user' side, trying to create masterpieces.  This is not a
choice - I surely wouldn't mind knowing myself and highly respect those who
can appreciate the whole thing on a level of understanding the mechanisms
and complexities of what is the culprit anyway.  With due respect to all
opinions both explicit and otherwise,
One can be the greatest photographer that's ever been ( ohcomeonnowillye!)
and know almost nothing about how it's done.  [(S)he{(H(-S)e)}] has to know
WHAT to do.  Likely or not, it's there.

BUT why is there any sort of assumption that this goes both ways?  One is
not a "user" or a "tester"! They are separate approaches, but that's no type
of exclusion.  I don't see how any sort of 'advanced' knowledge of whatever
kind limits that person's photography in any way - or significantly better
or not better. The person who is knowledgeable on matters concerning optical
properties, or any other empirically-oriented application, or historical or
any other in depth matters for that matter, shoots (Leica People here!) with
any sort of constant specifications.  Testing is not 'out taking photos' (or
maybe it is) but it's irrelevant; when 'out shooting' without lugging around
heavy benches the Leica person is the same as any other - and as a general
view sees things quite similar in their photo-experiences.  Of course the
important thing is user-reports.  User's are using the stuff.  But anyone is
a user, dumb or not so dumb.  In either case the more knowledgeable person
has the benefit of encompassing more angles and approaches in general,
whereas the better or not better 'shooter-dumb guy' passes this on.  But
there's no fundamental split here, and I('d)hate to be stuck on one side