Subject: [Leica] Mark Rabiner's M6: #1 with Mark
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 08:38:48 +0000

Mark Rabiner: >>>you had admitted that the Nikon F100 is by far your
camera of choice when you are not testing other cameras relegating Leica
to a very small fraction of your photographic life<<<

Actually, I'm using the F100 for 60 days. I realize the idea is
appalling, but I'll actually give it a fair shake--for the sake of those
poor, benighted individuals who actually use Nikons for their work. I'm
sorry.

Mark Rabiner: >>>And in your current magazine issue followed by eight
other cameras which you feel are more happening or otherwise more worthy
or better than the Leica M6<<<

I'm so sorry. Here's the list I will run next year, for our audience of
33,000 veteran photographers, 60% of whom use large format and any three
of whom, on average, have more years of experience in photography than
Mark Rabiner has years on earth:

1. Mark Rabiner's Leica M6
2. Another Leica Mark Rabiner approves of
3. Another Leica Mark Rabiner approves of
4. Another Leica Mark Rabiner approves of
5. Another Leica Mark Rabiner approves of
6. Another Leica Mark Rabiner approves of
7. Another Leica Mark Rabiner approves of
8. Another Leica Mark Rabiner approves of
9. Another Leica Mark Rabiner approves of
10. Another Leica Mark Rabiner approves of
11-25. Trivial, transitory, and inconsequential, hence not worth
mentioning.

That should make for good reading, and this way no one will disagree
with our choices.

Mark Rabiner: >>>in terms of a perspective on cameras and photography
this list is all the intellectual suicide one needs<<<

Well, we're bigoted. In stark contrast to your own open-mindedness and
lack of bigotry, which I admire so much.

Mark Rabiner: >>>the Leica Rangefinder as a camera system for now as it
exist's
now<<<

(Oh, dear, he didn't read my post on apostrophes! And I don't dare
repeat it now.)

Mark Rabiner: >>>I suggest you put aside the mass of technology being
thrown at
you from all sides and go take an M6 with some current lenses for a trip
to a
different city for a week  and get in the groove of using them and see
how much
of a problem they present to you<<<

What a smart idea! Actually *trying* an M camera! And to think that such
a novel approach had never occurred to me...you'd think I would have
thought to try something like that, especially during the years that I
owned nothing but an M camera! Thank you so much for the suggestion.
You're a helpful fellow, Mark, sage, knowledgable, and so remarkably
well versed in the very things I do for a living.

Your politeness, considerateness, humility,  objectivity, probity, and
respectfulness towards others truly help give Leicas, and the LUG, a
good name.

- --Mike