Subject: Re: [Leica] Two "new" cameras, and an OLD roll of film...
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 15:49:13 -0800 (PST)

Marc James Small writes:
 > At 11:42 AM 11/6/1999 -0800, George Hartzell wrote:
 > >[...]
 > >  - No 788208, screw mount body, with a 5cm f2 collapsible Summitar,
 > >    otoscope like viewfinder on the flash shoe.
 > >[...]
 >
 > [...] I haven't a clue as to what an "otoscope" is, so I can't help you
 > there.

An otoscope is the device that a doctor uses to look into your ear,
and particular shape that I was trying to describe is the conical part
that actually slips into your ear.  It seems to be an adjustable view
finder, w/ markings 3.5, 5, 8.5, 9, 13.5 (presumably centimeters, for
various lenses), and an adjustment on the foot (that goes into the
flash shoe) with markings of infinity (sideways 8), 4, 2, 1.5, 1
(presumably for paralax correction).  It's serial number 64928.

 > And there isn't a blessed thing "funny" about the reflex housing:
 > it should be a fairly late Visoflex I, Code-Word OZUPO, catalogue number
 > 16484.  The vertical 5X magnifer would be LVFOO/16486, while the 4X
 > 45-degree magnifier is a PEGOO/16487.

I've always wondered about the leica naming scheme (I can't be the
first).  I think that OZUPO, LVFOO, and PEGOO are *all* funny, but
that probably makes me a heretic.

 > I would strongly suspect both of your Summitars are coated.

The Summitars are

   786656  (on the IIIc)
   797724  (on the IIf)

I can tell that they're coated w/ glop, but not much beyond that.
What should I check for?

*Thanks* for the info!

g.