Subject: [Leica] Re: scientific lens testing is ridiculous?
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 07:20:52 -0700

On 7 Nov 99, Erwin Puts wrote, at least in part:

> This is in it itself a very old discussion topic. And I am most
> surprised this topic never seems to rise above the obviously
> easy dichotomy between artistic photography versus image
> performance.

<snip>

Your ability in a non-mother tongue, and now, your displayed
statesmanship, continue to delight and amaze me, Erwin.

I'll add a reason that I truly believe enters the picture. With no
intention of being pejorative, I would offer that it is *easy* to be
of the notion that "lens testing is ridiculous". Easy because we all
make images, here. Hopefully, we make images that ocassionally
please us, and, if we are really good at it, *very* ocassionally
please others. Image making, though, can, and often is learned
empirically. It has been learned that way by some of the accepted
'greats'.

When I view an image, I know that it appeals or it doesn't, for
reasons that are valid to me only. It is my judgement and though
open to question, it is my judgement, by God! Your pursuit of the
scientific aspect of optics *requires* study of what has preceded
you before you can begin making contributions to your discipline.
That word discipline is key! To disparage the endeavors of those
who have made that committment really doesn't mean
"intellectual suicide". It merely shows that intelligence was not
present in that arena to begin with.

Most readers will, thankfully, be of the 'feel' school with respect to
their lenses, BUT still have an appreciation of what got that lens
there in spite of not understanding its path.

- --
Roger
Mailto:roger@beamon.org