Subject: [Leica] R8 adventures
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 11:41:03 -0600

Luggers,

It has been a number of months since I sold my M stuff and, again, went to
the R8.  I guess that it takes me several times to try something before I
realize what I am doing.  I had an R8 several years ago and sold it and
since then have been realizing that the pictures that I took with it were,
for me, quite good - meaning that I like them.

AAR, I now have my second R8 and winder and 35/1.4, 50/1.4 (newest) and
80/1.4 and a R4sP (from a fellow lugger) as a second body. I just got back
the last roll of Kodachrome 200 from our trip to Wisconsin, and a Halloween
party here at the apartment complex.  Most of the pictures I took with the
35 and 80 and the party pictures mostly were 1.4 although some at 2.0,
These are two sharp lenses.  I like the 80 better than the 75-M I used to
have and the pictures I took with the 35 are at least as good as the 35/1.4
ASPH-M I used to have.  The lenses have sharpness, color saturation and
good contrast.

I have had no problems with the camera or the winder, so far.  I have
previously use practically every Nikon body except the F5 and F100, and I
like the intuitive use of the R8. It is, without doubt, the best SLR I have
ever had the pleasure to own or use.  I had to buy the ground glass screen
(thanks again Ted) before I liked to focus it, when I remember to use my
left eye.

BTW the people in the  party shots taken at 1.4 really stand out from the
background and are sharp.

For what it is worth.

Dick Hemingway
Plano, TX