Subject: Re: [Leica] suburbs
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 10:58:51 -0800

Disfromage@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/05/1999 7:44:43 AM, you wrote:
>
> <<> then on most of us up and coming photographers in Portland although he
> shot in
> > color and was from the South.>>
>
> The tricycle was by William Eggleston.  Suburbia by Bill Owens was all black
> and white is worth tracking down.  This thread made me pull it off the shelf
> for another look.  It reminds me of Schaumburg.  It is being reissued from
> new prints and according to Owens (I read an interview with him somewhere
> recently) they are much better than the old prints.  I have a feeling that
> the price may be more than $6.95 that I paid in 1973.  He only earned about
> $1000 from the first edition and hasn't done much photography since.  He had
> to earn a living instead.
>
> All the best,
> Richard Wasserman

Hi Richard! You would think getting discovered by Mr. Z would put you up there
so you would not have to go back to flipping burgers again!
The Eggleston show I saw at Reed college in "78 had dye transfer prints instead
of C prints so the lights were dimmed.
They were flat but really had something going for them. But my tricycles in
driveways never came out as good.
My friend tells me William Eggleston used vintage cameras for less contrast.
Mark Rabiner