Subject: [Leica] New screw-mount Summicrons
From: "R. Carter" <carter@andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 20:11:02 -0500

I disremember the name of the LUGger who recently
referred to a hint from Leica management about
a new run of current model 50mm Summicron-M lenses in
screw mount.

The December 1999 issue of Shutterbug
arrived today, with a half-page ad on p. 257 from
Lemon Co. Ltd., of Tokyo, advertising a sale of a
limited quantity of "LEICA L-mount lenses," including
50mm Summicrons, 35mm Summicron ASPH's and 50mm Summiluxes.
All are priced in Yen (Y120,000, Y175,000 and Y200,000
respectively) pictured in chrome, and are described as
"These lenses' plan made by Lemon Co., and Leica Co.,
approved and manufactured!"  Shipping charges to Hong
Kong, the U.S.A. and Canada and to the EC are listed,
in Yen. "Now order! We send it to your door."

These lenses "Can be use for Screw mount & M mount
cameras!" so it seems "L-mount" lenses are probably in
screw mount.

It looks as if a major retailer has obtained a substantial
number of these lenses on spec. Possibly, he
anticipates selling to Hexar buyers, but advertises
in Shutterbug to draw collectors.  (These
might prove as good a long term investment as the
various one-off commemorative bodies Leica markets.)

The company web site is in japanese.

http://www.lemonco.co.jp

If you were starting a camera store, would you call
it Lemon Co., Ltd.?  Maybe they heard about my car
and have me spotted as the ideal customer.
- --
                                             _RAC

Robert A. Carter KB2NTV carter@newark.rutgers.edu
15 Washington St. Newark NJ 07102 +1.973.353.5216