Subject: [Leica] Next body -- M3/M6-.85?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:21:38 EST

I've got one M body (a M4-p) and two lenses (24mm & 35mm). I expect to have a
90mm soon. I'm starting to think down the road toward a second body. I'm
thinking purely as a shooter, not a collector or even someone in pursuit of
"the best." I almost insist on the M4-style loading system and I like the
fact that the M4-2 and beyonds have a hot shoe (though I will rarely if ever
use it). I might someday try the Abbramson winder so that's a minor factor
(an M4-P and an M-6 use the same winder, correct?).

I'm thinking I want something with a higher magnification viewfinder for use
with the 90mm and maybe a 50mm or even 135mm someday. That would seem to
limit my choice to the .85 magnification M6 but I'm wondering . . . Is it
possible to convert an M3 to the modern take-up spool. I've asked this before
and it seemed like the answer was a qualified "yes" but I'd like a little
more specifics. Has anyone here done this? Who does this (e-mail address?)?
What does it cost (IOW, would the modification + an M3 body be significantly
less $ than a used .85 M6?)?

Bob (dreaming of a 2nd Leica) McEowen