Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Street Photography debate
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 16:56:53 EST

In a message dated 11/1/99 3:20:38 PM, Joel.O'Rourke@osd.pentagon.mil writes:

>Therein lies the unique
>appeal (for me, anyway) in street photography: being constrained to
>photograph the "decisive moment" in a hostile environment, while paying
>attention to formal constraints of composition, lighting, etc.

Maybe I'm just not in tune but I find the "hostile environment" comment
interesting. Everyday newspaper and magazine photographers document the lives
of very rough characters in very rough environments. I've seen published
photo stories on homeless people, drug addicts, gang members, you name it,
it's been done -- just look at the Pictures of the Year annual. They do this
with full knowledge and participation of the subjects and still make telling,
honest photos. So is the idea of so-called street photography that one must
make pictures without the subject's permission? Why is this? Please don't
tell me it's because of camera awareness -- like I say, look at the Pictures
of the  Year annual . . .

Bob (Just ask) McEowen