Subject: RE: [Leica] 90mm M Lens opinions?
From: Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 09:05:06 -0600

- --Boundary_(ID_k6p3VOVKUs2AN9b6NQ/rIA)

Lens choices are never easy for me to make myself, much less recommend for
someone else, not knowing what you want to use them for, but here goes:

If I had unlimited funds, the choice would have been easy, and the 90
Summicron would have been my choice. If you are shooting available light
with 400 or slower film, you won't like the relatively slower f2.8 speed of
either the Tele-Elmarit or the Elmarit-M. As a compact, sharp lens, the last
Tele-Elmarit is hard to beat, but the current Elmarit-M, the one I own, is a
very sharp, contrasty lens. there were some problems with a later batch of
Tele-Elmarits, so be sure any you look at is not one of those. For outdoor
shooting in good and even fairly low light, and with flash indoors the
current Elmarit-M is a very good choice, but if you need the extra stop and
are willing to go second-hand for now, I'd get a later pre-APO 90 Summicron.