Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Street Photography debate
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 09:03:10 -0000

Dan,
I think think follows on from my tirade against judges.

There is a feeling in club or salon photography that there are
quasi-mystical rights and wrongs to making a photograph 'work', or 'be
right'. Providing the caveats you explained are there (and even sometimes
if they're not!) the expression of an artistic nature should never succomb
to almost scientific 'rules of composition'.
There is a well written critique of a Rembrandt portrait, delivered in the
style of a club/salon photography judge (I'm sorry I can't place it now)
wherein the painting is demolished for lack of contrast, sharpness,
breaking the golden rectangle/rule of thirds/'S' shaped composition etc,
and lack of shadow detail! It's delightful.
If photographers wish to take pictures to be admired by their peers in
their enclosed photographic environment, then fine, that's all they have to
worry about, following the dictates of those who have gone before..
If, however, they wish to be their own person and describe the world as
they see it themselves, then they need to ignore the 'rules' and pursue
their own personal vision.

Jem