Subject: Re: [Leica] Use of Filters
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 17:52:03 -0700

Mmermag@aol.com wrote:

> Obviously valid questions.. there could be other variables. I shot 2 shots of
> each, handheld at 250 shutter speed, f4. I used a recycling sticker on a
> trash can that was in the photo to crudely measure clarity (Letters on the
> sticker) . I am mistaken about the UV filter.. it was a 1A Rokunar Japan.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Mike
> In a message dated 10/30/99, 7:07:43 PM, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> writes:
> << To my amazement, I shot several shots with and without
> > UV filter on my 135mm Elmarit.
>
> How did you take the shot, how did you measure the sharpness, and what brand
> and
> model of UV filter were you using?
>
>   -- Anthony

So if it wasn't a super multicoated Leica filter or equivalent we're not off the
hook.
Also the subjectiveness of one shot aimed one degree more so into the sun would
create more flare which a tripod would fix.
But still, enough shots will tell you something, in this case there are a lot of
cheap filters out there that will screw up your shots.
Slides instead of prints would account for printing variances.

It has been my minority contention that it is not just high flare situations
that an extraneous even quality filter could negatively be noticeable. Even
Erwin does not go along with this I say to those who must think that I
habitually just follow and regurgitate his writings.
Mark Rabiner