Subject: [Leica] Re: Konica Hexar RF / M6 TTL comparisons
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:03:34 -0500

I received the 16 page colour brochure for the Hexar RF (in Japanese)from
my Tokyo office today and there is a schematic of the rangefinder. I
compared it with the drawing in the Leica brochure and they are as near as
identical except for the extra lens that directs the light to the shutter
speeds on the left side of the viewfinder on the RF. The RF camera body
dimensions are W139.5 mm x H80.0 mm x D35.0 mm, body weight 560g (w/o
batteries). The dimensions of the Leica M6 TTL is W138.0 mm x H79.5 mm x
D38.0 mm body weight 560g. Of course the RF has a built in 2.5 fps motor
with single and continuous and timer settings. The viewfinder for the RF,
judging by the diagrams will be great for 28mm (like a CLE) fine for 35mm
okay for 50mm and just about useless for 75mm, 90mm and 135mm lenses. The
135 framelines are just tiny brackets around the rangefinder window. So
this will be a camera body for wide angle lenses. The flash isn't TTL
(which is strange given that the CLE had TTL flash 20 years ago)and has
three settings, auto 1, auto 2 and full manual. Auto 1 is F2.8 for ASA 100,
5.6 for ASA 400 covering 1m - 6.4m and Auto 2 is F5.6 for ASA 100 and F11
(ASA 400) covering 0.7 - 3.2m.  The AE has two settings AE and AE Lock
which is an improvement over the CLE and, it seems, manual exposure but I
can't tell how this works from the brochure. Film speed is by DX or manual
setting. There are two pin sockets in the bottom of the film chamber,
presumably to connect to a data back.  Instead of a white dot on the
shutter curtain like the M6 the Hexar has a white band across the middle
third of the vertically travelling metal bladed shutter curtain, producing
an elongated oval shaped exposure pattern.  I should receive my RF in late
December - it was Yen 168,000 less a discount of 10 to 15% (about US$1,360
- - 1,440) (to be confirmed when my office in Tokyo picks up the camera). The
RF rangefinder is so close to the M6 in so many ways, I think there must be
some co-operation between Konica and Leica. If not, and there are any
patents left on the rangefinder, then Konica could be looking at a law suit
and it seems unlikely to me they would allow themselves to be put in that
position.
But, I expect some others know more about all this than they are telling. :)
Cheers (looking forward to playing with his RF!)
Howard Cummer.