Subject: Re: [Leica] More on cropping! Flames afire! (and black edges)
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:55:12 EDT

You are talking about two radically different approaches to presenting
photographs. Arranging a show is quite different than a publication layout.
In layout I purposely try to mix up shapes and sizes. You want the viewer to
instantly know that one photo is more important -- or at least comes before
another in sequence. Different shapes add interest to the layout and help
direct your reader's eye around the page. My brain thinks in terms of layout
and story telling. I have absolutely no feeling for doing shows. I can see
where cropping would be problematic in an art environment. It's part of the
communication process in journalism.

Bob (there are no rules) McEowen