Subject: [Leica] Mr. Kohn "gets it"
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:03:05 -0600

If you haven't already, download the latest Leica M6 brochure: It's the
freshest thinking I've seen out of Leica in some time, and it makes me
want to go out and buy an M6--even though I already own one!

I took a quick look at the Digilux Zoom info and was about to move on
when I spotted Leica's new slide/negative transfer gadget that works
with it. I assume it's really designed for light, non-critical use, but
this too, is clever thinking: With this modest gadget, Leica has taken a
rebadged Fuji camera and added a new twist of their own. I want one of
these things--I have a lot of images that I want to experiment with, but
am not always ready to commit to a $40 drum scan or wait for PhotoCD
transfers. And I wouldn't be real happy at spending hundreds, even
thousands of dollars on a scanner that could not at least match PhotoCD,
so this may be the (hopefully cheap) alternative I've been looking for.
Now 1.5 million pixels isn't a lot by today's standards, but that's an
optical zoom there, and the camera looks to be small enough to make a
nice point-and-shoot too.

There's still more to be done: The R-system, for instance, and making
the gear more accessible, either by lower prices, promotions or
financing. But if the above is any indication, I think Mr. Kohn's reign
will be a good one for Leica fans. Now, how's about a $350 Cosina-based
R starter package..!

- --
Jeff Segawa
Boulder, Colorado