Subject: Re: [Leica] a first picture with the Heliar 15
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:26:21 -0600

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> Pursuant to conversations about the Heliar 15 lens, below is a link to
> what I consider my first satisfying picture with this ultra-wide-angle.
>
> <http://www.bayarea.net/~ramarren/photostuff/fshrmn/fshrmn.htm>
>
> I'm interested to hear comments, good or bad.

Very strong diagonals there, Godfrey--the cooler, the fishing pole, and
the stance of the boy all lead our eyes to the bright central area of
the photo where, unfortunately, not much is happening. But I think
you're getting the hang of making use of that lens's exaggerated
perspective. The trick now is to remove all elements which do not
directly contribute to the composition (boat, trash can) I find
ultrawides and fisheye lenses fascinating, but also very tricky to use
well, due to the need for careful camera alignment and the ease with
which they capture superfluous matter. My own Heliar will hopefully be
here before the end of the month, and it ought to keep me plenty busy.
- --
Jeff Segawa
Boulder, Colorado
www.boulder.net/~4season