Subject: Re: [Leica] Upgrade from Leica M3 to M6? Why?
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:30:07 -0800

>I presently own three Leica M3 bodies that I am now preparing to have
>refurbished and restored.
>
>(By the way - your recommendations on where to send M3's and
>accompanying lenses for restoration / refurbishment are greatly
>appreciated here.)
>
>My question is, given the advance of technology since the 60's (now
>Leica is up to M6 TTL  and TTL0.85!), is there any compelling reason
>(particularly considering cost) to upgrade camera bodies?  If one was
>well-equipped with M3 bodies, lenses and accessories, what would justify
>
>the cost of an upgrade?
>
>Your comments are well-appreciated
>

>Alan

a couple of thoughts on the above:

you could probably generate sufficient funds (or very nearly sufficient)
for an m6 body by selling a newly restored/refurbished m3/lens combination.

i've just had a cla done on a iiif. the repairman was klaus kettenberg at
pro camera service in thousand oaks, ca (805 497 7240). he did an excellent
job, and i would recommend him without hesitation. he also repairs cameras
for a number of l.a. based dealers and collectors, who recommended him to
me. i don't know whether or not he refurbishes. at any rate, check with the
lhsa site under repairs for a list of qualified repairmen.

as to whether or not one should 'upgrade,' i'll leave that to the debaters
of leica quality, old vs new. myself, i would keep an m3 (or two) and sell
one to buy an m6ttl - why deny yourself the radical experience of having a
futuristic m with both an exposure meter AND the possibility of ttl flash!

good luck!

guy