Subject: Re: [Leica] visiting Leica in Germany...questions for those who have been.
From: MSwiek@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:21:43 EDT

Hi,

I have made the trip (pilgrimage ?) to the Wetzlar/Solms area several times.
The first time I went I made special arrangements for a private tour at the
factory at Solms in the morning, and planned on spending just a coupe of
hours in Wetzlar to see the old Leitz factory buildings, which now house
Wetzlar town government offices.  Wetzlar was a pleasant surprise, a charming
and very photogenic old town.  I spent more than five hours before darkness
and business commitments in Frankfurt drew me away.  Been back a few more
times for very brief visits to Solms to pick up literature, or parts, and
more time in Wetzlar.

I have made the trip from Munich as a day trip, but it is very rushed, and
not advisable as a first visit to the area.  I took the ICE train, early
morning 5:30 AM from Munich to Frankfurt (about 3.25 hours) rented a car at
the Frankfurt train station and up the autobahn to Wetzlar.  It's about a 1hr
15 minute drive from Frankfurt to Wetzlar. Having a car in the Wetzlar/Solms
area is much more convenient than taking trains.

Enjoy.

Mike Swiek

I have found the best way to get there is to rent a car in Frankfurt