Subject: Re: [Leica] Upgrade from Leica M3 to M6? Why?--Yeah! Why?
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 08:51:18 -0400

Alan-
Boy, Oh Boy! Does you ever knows how to puts your feets in it!!!
I rather demurr from the recent discussion on the relative merits of the M6
vice the M2/3/4. I have an M3 that was refurbed by Sherry Krauter, who also
installed a single stroke winding head. Now I will admit that since it did
not have a 35mm frameline, I came really close to selling it, and moving to
an M6.
Fortunately, I bumped my head, and came to my senses in time to not sell the
M3, and find another means to get the M6, but enough of my dilemmas-
If you have three M3 bodies, you are, as they say here in 'Good Ole Boy'
country, pootin' in high cotton! In my opinion, the only downside is the
lack of the 35mm framelines. Other than that, the cameras are everybit as
good as any M6, and considering even the refurbishing of three, a lot
cheaper than going to M6s.
I would say- if you absolutely have to get an M6, sell ONE of the M3 bodies,
but keep the other two! You won't regret it!
Metering? Well, I kinda like the M6 internal meter, but then I also have the
MR for the M3, and two Weston Master Vs for the other stuff, as well as a
Gossen Luna-Pro I broke down and bought in the 70s when I wanted a 'more
modern, newer meter'! I have no problem with an external meter since I've
been using them for over thirty years. I am just comfortable with them. I
also wear laced up shoes because to me tying them is easier than Velcro- but
I am from another age!
It boils down to personal taste. I assume (Dangerous!) that if you had the
wherewithal to have Leicas, and three of them at that, in the 60s and 70s,
then you are an old fart like me. Probably set in your ways, and the
learning curve for cameras that you used then should be real short. Hell, I
still use a IIIa that's older than I am and not near as arthritic as I am!
Get Sherry at Golden Touch (Contact me for the Leica Repair Resource List)
to give them the "spa" treatment- Mine came back like new- I think she
buffed mine up, 'cause it even LOOKED better than when I sent it!
Glad to have you here- I hope that you find all the discussion you can
handle! I am sure that you will get a lot of opinions! The LUG is never
short of those! The marque of Leica seems to draw to it a really varied
assortment of LUGnuts, and whatever you decide, you will find some support
out there! (waffle, waffle!)
Personally, I am cheered by the number of folks still swearing BY their
older cameras rather than swearing AT them- with the heat and smoke
generated about the relative merits of the older vs. newer cameras, I still
remain happy that I kept my M3!
If you ever become discouraged at those old, obsolete, out of date and funny
looking M3s, I am sure a couple of us would be happy to relieve you of the
burden! :o}~

Dan
Man of many opinions, and Leicas of all ages!