Subject: Re: [Leica] Max Berek- opinion (moderately long).
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 11:16:45 -0400

Hoky Smoke, Bullwinkle!, er, Erwin!
Where DO you keep finding all these interesting facts!
It is indeed refreshing to know that even in an exponential explosion of
knowledge we can honor those that either 'lit the fuse' or fanned the
flames! Poor analogy!
Let's say that the structure of our immense knowledge in this wonderful age
is based on the (mostly) accurate and well laid foundations put down by so
many before us.
Just as I am continually amazed at the intricate and beautiful woodwork of
antique furniture, it is even more amazing considering it was built totally
by hand, with what we would consider primitive tools. Same too with my
delightful IIIa; here is a camera that was built when a computer was an
engineer sitting at a table with paper and pencil, a slide rule, and his own
brain! It can rival the beauty, and functionality of a lot of computer aided
cameras of today! I constantly remind myself, and friends who worry about
the Y2K problem, that man fed himself for thirty thousand years with what
amounts to a stick and a string. We have had 'computers' in wide use only in
the last 30 years- So if Y2K throws a glitch, I am confident that it will be
merely an inconvenience!
Remember, Max Berek was one of these who had only a pencil, paper, and slide
rule- and his work still inspires.
So much for my rant, Erwin- Thanks for the little glimpse of someone who
helped build the art and science of Leica photography. Keep 'em coming!
Dan