Subject: Re: [Leica] Portrait Lens: Summicron, Elmar, Elmari
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:16:42 +0000

Gib Robinson wrote:
>I haven't followed every turn in the discussion of portrait lenses, but I
get the impression that for a number of people, it pays to
>have a lens of lesser quality to soften portraits and that lenses like the
100mm f/2.8 APO are considered poor for portraits because
>they're too sharp. That's not my experience, and I'd be interested in
hearing from other LUGers who have used their best lenses for
>portraits. I certainly have. My absolute favorite portrait lens was the
Zeiss T* 150mm on a Hassleblad. On Leicas I use the best I
>have -- 90mm Elmarit and 100mm Elmar. I've always felt I could create
appealing portraits by controling all the other variables --
>lighting, development, printing, film selection, etc. I've never felt the
need to use a mediocre lens to flatter a subject.

Nobody said that you cannot use a sharp lens for portraits.  Permit me to
elaborate.

Pics I took of the Karen people were tack sharp and this included facial
blemishes and wrinkles of elderly ladies.  These pictures were for my own
viewing and the subject was unlikely to every see her own picture again.
My friends commented on how sharp, well composed and exposed the pictures
were and this obviously did me proud.

On the other hand, if I were to take the same pictures of my wife with my
superduper sharp lens, I'd risk cooking my own dinner and all.  My wife
just luuuurves to have her picture taken with my 1954 Retina IIc with Xenon
lens.  This lens is not unsharp but the pictures it produces just makes her
look good and again I'd risk cooking my own dinner if I ever sold that camera.
There is a certain roundness in quality that is achievable with this lens
that will make people look better than that taken with a sharp lens of
current vintage.

If your subjects are happy to have their zits, pock-marks, wrinkles and
facial ulcers recorded with your sharp lens then continue to do so.
Somehow, I also detect your need to modify the final image by controlling
all the other variables -- lighting, development, printing, film selection,
etc.  This is obviously done to make the final image more appealing.  That
is exactly what portraiture is all about.

Dan K.

     Modernisation is not necessarily in the best interest of mankind.