Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V12 #76
From: "S London" <srlondon@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:06:42 -0500

It is my hope that, as you say, Leica will find a way to improve the M6 in
ways other than adding a built-in motor drive or AF.  These features are
simply not part of the Leica RF experience as I appreciate it.

The problem with Leica getting into a "pissing match" of electronic features
and electronic gadgetization with the Japanese is that they will surely
lose.  Even if they manage to match cameras like the new Konica and Contax
G2 on a feature-to-feature basis, the price will not even be close to the
competition.

The bill of sale that Leica puts out on the M6 is that it is a jewel-like
example of mechanical precision and design.  The simplicity of use imparted
by its mechanical design is what attracts many of us to the camera design,
for it is certainly no competition to modern RF cameras in terms of outright
features.  If Leica were to destroy that, I would fail to see the point in
buying another M.  The Contax G glass is almost as good, and it is a hell of
a lot cheaper.

So surely there is a way for Leica to make improvements in the M's
mechanical design without destroying its character.  I hope that they are
willing to admit that the mechanical RF is a dead end from the design
perspective.