Subject: [Leica] Manufacturing QC
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:32:54 +0000

>>>It is NOT cheaper to manufacture with less quality control
because this ignores other unavoidable costs...[snip]...In addition,
irrespective of price-point, it is just not THAT expensive to do it
right the first time. stuart phillips<<<

Anecdotal evidence in support of Stuart's point: the company that
publishes _PHOTO Techniques_, Preston Industries, also includes
PolyScience, a 60,000 sq. ft., multimillion-dollar manufacturing
facility where mainly we OEM high-quality temperature control devices
for the scientific and medical fields. I don't work for PolyScience, but
what I've heard from them is that warrantee returns are a headache and a
disproportionate expense, never mind the bad PR. A few years ago they
hired a full-time QC expert and have gotten returns for repair down well
below 1%, and everyone seems to be saying that this has contributed a
great deal to the health and bottom line of the company.

- --Mike