Subject: RE: [Leica] Yasuhara Leica Clone [Vaporware?]
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:47:10 -0000

> Robert,
> I managed to buy one of these cameras from a friend in Japan
> who ordered 3!
> They are dissappointing, the quality seems rather poor, way
> off Minolta CLE
> and the Konica standards, perhaps inferior to the 'Voigtlander' too.
> The leds in the viewfinder are all but invisible unless eye
> squinting is
> carried out and the background is appropriately suitable.
> However it does have a cute 50's 'retro' look and does offer a 1:1
> viewfinder, the frame lines are slightly fuzzy though. It feels
> insubstantial but then it wasn't that expensive.
>
> best wishes,
>
> Jem

In other words, it's a piece of crap. No need to explain to apologize. Crap
is crap, and the fact that it can take LTM lenses doesn't make it any less
crap.

Thanks for the warning.

I have to say I don't understand all the "raving" on the list about the
"voigtlander" with its 15 and 25 mm lenses. Yes, we are all very lucky to
have a quite good 15 mm lens with a finder that can be adapted to an M,
whether or not it can be rangefinder coupled,  because the dept of field is
so rediculously good. But the 25? I'm sorry, but I focus my 21, and used to
focus my reflex 24s as accurately as I could. Yes, there are times you can't
take the time, and the depth of field let's you get away with not focusing,
but I can't see buying a lens as "close to normal" as a 25 if it isn't
coupled. And as for the bodies - forgive me please, those of you who love
them, but they strike me a real junk. No rangefinder of any kind. A kludge
version of an FM10? Come on.

If, as appeares to be the case, optical technology has made such strides
during the past two decades that Japanese manufacturers can produce lenses
that are at least optically very close to, the equal of, or even better than
their Leica competitors (which is the case of the 50 1.5 and the 50
Summilux, according to Tom A.) at a fraction of the price, great! But one of
the greatest values, charms, etc., of the Leica rangefinders has been their
decades-long reliability, solidity, quiet, etc. Why give that up to save
money?

Let's just hope the Konica is a far better product than these other bodies,
particularly considering the price.