Subject: RE: [Leica] Devil's advocate
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:38:02 -0000

> I'm afraid I must disagree with Alastair Firkin's determined apologia
> for the M6. I think, for one thing, that the G2 has taken more users
> away from Leica than it has contributed to Leica; from what I
> hear in my
> position, I would guess the ratio of people abandoning Leica
> for the G2
> vs. the other way around is perhaps 2 or 3 to 1.

My guess is that Mike is right about this. But I think that the people to
whom he refers are people who bought the M for what amount to status
reasons - for its price, its history, etc. - and it was far too much camera
for them. When the G came along, they could get a "name" camera, different
from the cameras used by the "peasants," that even an idiot could use to get
"
good pictures."

My experience, however, was precisely the opposite. Having used both LTMs
and Ms over the years, but having given them up for SLRs, I was drawn back
toward rangefinders by the G1. I discovered, however, that despite having
really terrific glass, it was basically just an interchangable lens P&S with
a not very good autofocus system. But using the G did remind me what I had
loved so much about the Ms, and I returned to Leica.

I suspect, however, that I am definitely an exception to the rule.