Subject: Re: [Leica] cameras and guitars
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 08:54:54 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/99 7:39:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk writes:

 <<All this talk about where Leica should go, and digital v. analog, puts me
in
 mind of the Fender guitar company, who resurrected themselves in the 80s
 after being run into the ground by CBS - who blew the brand by churning out
 clunky donkey guitars in the 70s - by putting out a clearly differentiated
 line of made-to-a-price guitars (Squiers) without compromising the quality
 of their top line . . .  The Fender Strat has been
 incrementally improved, but for my money (and many others) the older guitars
 are better. Fender now makes a lot of money making semi-retro versions of
 its own product, just as Konica and Voigtlander are doing with the new RF
 stuff.>>>

Well opinions will vary but my recollection is that Fender almost went down
the toilet when CBS bought the company, increased production and the quality
of the product went to hell. In short, they sacrificed a good product for the
almighty dollar. The first Squire guitars -- made in Japan -- were actually
BETTER instruments than what Fender was putting out in the USA at the time.
Eventually, they must have found cheaper suppliers for those as their quality
soon suffered. Meanwhile every Japanese competitor under the sun was kicking
their butt in the value and often quality arenas. Today, IMHO, only the
current "Custom Shop" Fenders are the equal of the pre-CBS guitars in terms
of build quality while the company tries to pass off the the "American
Standard" as the flag bearer and the public accepts it. I guess it's sort of
like saying the M4-2/M4-P are equal to an M4.

The lesson for Leica, again IMHO, is don't sacrifice quality. If you want to
increase production or make a more profitable camera, do it under a different
name and do what you have to do make a buck while still offering a decent
product. Still they need to recognize that if the Asian camera manufacturers
wake up and see a market in Leica-esque rangefinders, they're going to eat
Leica's lunch in bang for the buck.

Bob (you can't make pictures with a Fender, you can't play a Leica) McEowen